If you are a fan of “The Office” you’ve likely seen the Desert Island game everyone plays to pass the time while the Fire Department puts out the cheesey-pita induced office fire.
I believe in the show, the list is about movies, but since I haven’t successful watched a movie beginning to end since Arnold Schwarzeneggar became governor of California (and stopped making movies), mine is a list of my top five books.
Here it is (in no specific order)
- Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite – Paul Arden. Why I’d bring it? If you want to be motivated and think outside the box, Paul Arden can’t be beat. He serves up truth page by page with short blurbs and quotes page after page. It is perhaps the most original book I’ve read. You will love it…
- Walden, or, Life in the Woods – Henry David Thoreau. Why I’d bring it? What I take from this compilations of essays is one connecting theme: self-reliance (side note: a great essay by Emerson is entitled “Self-Reliance”, and has many parallels). HDT combines philosophy with reality. There is meaning to every single word in his essays.
- Built to Last – Jim Collins. Why I’d bring it? Collins doesn’t just dish out food for thought, but he also gives actionable steps. He has great ability to lead you with only his words. It is my favorite business related book.
- Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder: Arnold Schwazenegger. Why I’d bring it? Put politics and Kindergarten Cop quotes (“Who is your daddy, and what does he do?) aside for a moment: The guy is simply motivating. Read the book and you’ll learn how, while under mandatory service in the Austrian military, Arnold stayed on course with his bodybuilding goals by hiding weights in a tank on base. He pulled them out every night after everyone in camp went to sleep, and every morning before everyone woke up, all along risking being caught. Reading it will forever make you think twice before saying “I don’t have enough time”.
- Lawline.com Culture Book! – Everyone. Yes, I am sucking up to everyone. I hope it works.
What are your top 5? Any fiction fans out there?